Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another Cold Day in Mykolayiv







It's another cold, windy day here, and we're in town at the post office, which has an internet room as well as phone booths from which we can call to the U.S. (for about $.35/minute or so). Hope you like the new pictures and video.

We had a great visit with Oksana/Juliana this morning and will see her again this afternoon for another hour or so. We've started mixing her new name in with her old one to get her used to it. Yesterday, one of the staff in her group at the orphanage asked us what her American name will be, I think so they can begin doing the same.

I know I've been complaining about the people here being cold and unfriendly. Well, Julie pointed out this morning that they're really not so different from New Englanders. The more I thought about it, the more I think she's right, only here we've got the additional factor of a language barrier. They don't call us the "cold north" for nothing, right?

People have asked us about how big she is, etc. Well, she's two and a half (birthday 4/25/05), but probably isn't any bigger than the average 18-24 month old. She probably doesn't weigh 20 lbs soaking wet. Most of the clothes they put on her seem to be 18-24 months. There's not much to her, but she doesn't seem under-nourished - she'll fill out just fine once she's home. She definitely seems to have a healthy appetite. Oh, and we can definitely attest to the fact that she's a two-year-old. Now that she's grown more accustomed to us, we get treated to a fuller spectrum of her personality. Yes, she can be sweet and gentle, but she can also be stubborn, willful and demanding. This one is a little fireball.

Miss you all and looking forward to coming home in 2 weeks. Will update you again in a couple of days.

14 comments:

Grace For Each Day said...

Hey Guys! Every picture and video proves even more just how beautiful she is! And smart too! I can't believe how clearly she speaks the words (or names) she has learned already! She is just amazing! I am on the verge of tears every time I see her!

Love and miss you guys!

Bethann

Rena said...

Julie - she looks like she fits just perfect in your lap and is right where she belongs! Great pics and video!! It's kind of fun being there with you, and I love reading these posts! Tell Steve that things are going great here and to have no worries -
Rena

Rob & Deb said...

She is adorable. :) I can't wait to meet her. And of course you know I JUST HAVE TO photograph her! We are so happy for you guys. I know Justin and Jonathan will be great big brothers. Hey Justin, are you ready for a little sister to invade your home? :)
All the girls do seem to love you. LOL. I know Amanda and Nicole do!

Love,
Deb, Rob, Amanda & Nicole

Lori said...

Just look ar those curls!!!And she seems so bright!!I be t her brothers loved to hear her say their names.Can you get her to practice saying Aunty Lori? Just kidding .I'm sure there are far more important things on your mind.
Have to say it was so great to hear your laugh,Julie. Your smiles and your laughter are so sincere and such a joy to see and hear. Enough of the mushy stuuf,you're probably thinking!
I am so happy for your family.Love you,Lori

krissy said...

Hello Julie & Steve

I just can't get over how she looks just like Julie and the boys.
She is so cute & smart! I'm so happy for all of you! My thoughts and prayers are with you daily. I e-mailed you the other day at another e-mail address Justin gave me, not sure if you got it so I just thought I would write to you here. Great idea to have a blog!
Love,
Krissy,Andy & Brandon
ps. Brandon loves the curls & so do I! What a Blessing!!!

Diana Nault said...

Steve and Julie,

She looks even more beautiful in the video's. She will be speaking english perfect very soon. How smart she is!!!! The boys are doing fine. Jonathan is just as funny as ever.

See you soon.
Diana

Brian and Lindsey said...

Again adorable Pics and Video!! She is so so so so cute! Jonathan is really proud talking about his new sister - so cute!!!!

Dave and Lisa said...

She is so beautiful! Great to hear her sweet little voice.We are so excited for you all with your new little blessing. I am still amazed at how God directed your path to find her. She is going to fit in with your family so well.

Robin said...

The video is not working for me right now. :( I will have to come back tomorrow and see if it works then. She is just so adorable! Those curls and those bright eyes! Hi Ana!

Robin, John, Kayla, Spencer, Brie

Angela said...

What an amazing journey for all of you! I'm sure that you're counting the minutes until you have her back here and the whole family is together. I continue to think good thoughts for a speedy, easy process.

Take care,

Angela

Nancy said...

Yikes!!! She speaks better English than some Americans that I've heard! What a sweet little voice...so glad that you can do these videos for us to be able to hear her!
I continue to pray with anticipation for the day that you are able to take her HOME.
Love you bunches!
Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi this is Shannon. Anna is so cute can't wait to see her. I love you so much!!!!!


Love Shannon and family

Unknown said...

Hi this is Shannon we have been looking at your blog almost evey day. Anna is soooooooooo cute and we are so excited to meet her. We are looking forward to seeing you soon. We love you so much.

Love, Shannon,Jennifer,Bethany,Mom,and Dad

Mike & Michelle said...

These new pictures and video are wonderful! Juliana is absolutely adorable and she will so perfectly complete your family. Our kids were all gathered in the living room to watch the video on my laptop and all they kept saying was "Oooooh, she's so cute..."

Julie, Michelle says "Hi - I miss you!" Thanks so much for sharing this great experience. God is so good. May you feel His warmth even in a cold, strange place so far away. "Ana" will soon get to come to a whole new world too and you are making that a reality for her. :)