Friday, November 30, 2007



10 Days to court – it just can’t come fast enough. We’re doing OK without Luba, muddling our way through Ukrainian society. Today we’ve decided not to venture into town. We bought enough groceries yesterday to give us several meals, and we’re not going to upload a video today, so we’ll be fine here in the apartment. Had a nice visit with Juliana this morning – brought along a couple of balloons we bought in the market yesterday. Not sure if she’s seen them before, but she definitely got a kick out of me (Steve) blowing them up and letting them go. There’s no doubt, though, that she’s definitely a “mama’s girl” for now. We’ve heard that this is pretty typical, as the only caregivers she’s ever had have been women. She has bonded with Julie very well, loves to be in her lap, loves to be carried. That’s not to say I don’t get any of the action; I get to hold her hand sometimes when we walk, and she’ll give me a hug and kiss hello & goodbye, and she talks about me a lot to the other kids (of course, I have no idea what she’s really saying – “beware of the big, scary papa”?). When we’re sitting on the floor playing, though, she wants to be on Mama.

Shopping is interesting. We know the names of a few things, the rest we try to figure out by sight. Of course, even knowing what to call something is no guarantee. We ran out of milk, so the other night I went into a small store to get some. The milk we had bought previously came in small cartons, maybe 1 liter; must be ultra-pasteurized, because they sell it right off the shelf, no refrigerator. Anyway, this small store didn’t have our usual “brand” so I bought a small bag of it (yes, bag), maybe a pint or so, cost the equivalent of about 45 cents. When we got back to the apartment, we cut it open and this milk both smelled like and tasted like smoked ham. Julie joked that maybe it was pig’s milk. Ha Ha… she could be right. Anyway, we picked up the better stuff yesterday and will give the “pig’s milk” to the local stray cats. Another interesting purchase: a deck of cards. Now, there’s not much for us to do around here when we’re not at the orphanage, besides read and wait for our internet connection, so we thought maybe we could play some card games. We bought a deck at the (huge) outdoor market yesterday. When we opened it, we found that it was complete except for the 2-s through the 5’s. Missing 16 cards. Is this a standard Ukrainian deck? We don’t know. I haven’t called Luba yet to ask her.

We typically ride into town on a “mini” bus (holds 12-20 passengers), and they really do have an extensive bus system here in Mykolayiv, making it pretty easy to get wherever we want to go for about 20 cents each. Yesterday, we got on the bus and sat towards the back – Julie picked the seats, so I am absolved of all blame. There was an awful smell, and Julie was absolutely sick to her stomach most of the 10 minute ride. It wasn’t until he got off the bus that we realized the odor was coming from the man behind us. He was also muttering to himself the whole way, probably saying “I hope the beautiful American woman in front of me notices my cologne”. Gotta find humor where we can.

We’ll try to get into town in the next few days to post some more video. Miss you all, and God bless America.

8 comments:

Dave and Lisa said...

Love the new pictures!! That room looks like a fun place to play in for the kids -very bright.
Take care. We all miss you!
Love from all of us in Peterborough!

Lori said...

Sarah gave Gary and Andrea your blog address and Gary has added it to his "favorites".Hope that's o.k. I just want everyone I know to be able to see what an amazing journey God has you on. And I want you to feel that you are being thought of and prayed for by the people here.I talk about you so much that everyone feels they know my "sister"and her family anyway.In my heart you and Steve and your 3 beautiful children are my family,you know that right? Love you!!!

Dad said...

Keep your chin up-the 10 days will pass quickly. Julianna does look alot like Julie-couldn't ask for a better match.
Nice weather here-in the 60's. We've put up the Hannukah bush for the first time in 4 years. I wasn't going to but Vivian twisted my arm.
Talk to ya in the next couple of days.
Love, Dad

Brian and Lindsey said...

Hey guys the pictures are great. I just love coming on and seeing her :) And I had to chuckle about your comment with milk in a bag - we have that in Canada too, but it does not smell like smoked ham or taste like smoked ham :P
Take care and God Bless
Lindsey

Robin said...

Thanks so much for posting this journey so the rest of us can follow along with you. It is so exciting to watch it unfold!!

Maybe the guy on the bus smelled because he drinks the smoked ham milk? ;)

Diana Nault said...

Look at it this way. You will look back on this in a few years and laugh. It's a wonderful adventure. Enjoy it!!! Juliana looks more beautiful each picture you send.

You are in our prayers each day.

Diana

Nancy said...

Hi Steve and Julie! I'm chuckling right now because of the description of the bus ride! I can picture Julie gagging and praying for the ride to be over quickly. Hey, it's just like back at church with the Denines.I almost lost my cookies several times just with passing air currents!
I'm sure that you're anxious to get back, especially to see the guys at home. God takes such good care of our loved ones while we are away from them! The reunion will certainly be a sweet one.
The milk story is quite interesting. i can't believe that it isn't refrigerated! And the smell of it...nasty!
Juliana's pictures amaze me. What a beautiful little girl! Again, thanks for including all of us in your journey of faith. I look forward to each entry that you make.
You are being prayed for with all of our hearts!
love,
Nancy

Brenda & Dennis said...

Thank you so much for sharing this special experience with us! It is such a joy to view the pictures and the videos - especially the one with her blowing kisses!!! So sweet! Dennis and I continue to pray for you both and for little "Ana".
Love, Dennis & Brenda